Shopping for your wedding gown is an amazing experience and most women have no idea what to expect when they get there. Just like the Bitsy Stylists, all bridal consultants are there to give you the best experience possible. We will do all the heavy lifting. And like any successful interaction, it’s a two way street.
Keep these things in mind as you are preparing to hunt for your perfect gown.
1- Choose your underwear/bra carefully
- Most quality bridal shops don’t carry undergarments for you to wear under the dresses because the gowns are designed to not need a separate bra (usually)
- If you are uncomfortable going bra-less or if your bust is on the bigger side, then try to wear a strapless bra in white or nude. So it doesn’t interfere with your view of the dress.
- Spanx are always welcome too.
- Remember that your stylist will be in the dressing room with you so whatever you wear will be seen
** Note: Your stylist has seen it all, so don’t wear something different just for our sake. Wear what’s best for you.
2- Know the gowns will not fit you perfectly
- Unless you are shopping at an off-the-rack store, the gowns you try on are samples. This means there is usually only one – often carried in a middle size.
- If the dress is too big, we will clamp it (see picture). If the dress is too small, we will use elastic bands and extra fabric to make it worth showing to your friends & family.
- Any consultant worth their salt will be able to show you how the gown will fit perfectly, regardless of size.
3- Only bring who you have to
- Dress shopping gets overwhelming. Having a gazillion opinions flying around only makes it worse.
- Just bring THE people whose opinions really matter to you. (The people you couldn’t imagine doing this without.) You really can’t please everybody… literally!
- On the flip side, make sure to bring the people you need. Don’t get caught in your dream gown and your mother or you bff is not there and unreachable.
- Bitsy Bridal has a free wifi that you can skype or facetime!
4- Please don’t expect your entourage to pull dresses
- Considering the traffic jam in a bridal store and the quality of the gowns; it is standard for the bridal stylists to be the only one to handle the gowns and put them on and off racks.
- It ensures the integrity of the gowns for all brides.
- This works in your favor. I can’t count the number of times that after finding the perfect gown for someone, she tells me she never would have picked that gown after seeing it on the hanger.
- Don’t hesitate to point out what you like. Ask your stylist to walk you through the racks (Same goes for friends and family).
- Each shop works a little differently but your stylist is all yours for the entire appointment: she will navigate the shop for you.
5- You will get tired: Bring on the Gatorade!
- Wedding gowns are seldom light. Even if you are only trying on the airy ones
made of chiffon, you will get tired from the in and out.
- If you are making a day of it and hitting multiple shops, schedule breaks and meals so that you + your friends & family can rest and be energized for the next appointment.
- You might consider packing some sugary snacks to eat between appointments (since no food or drink is allowed in most bridal shops)
6- Come looking “your” best
- You will likely not be able to see yourself as a “bride” when you feel like a slob or not feeling fresh or not feeling clean. So, no dresses will feel right.
- You don’t need to be dolled up for the red carpet, just feel good for yourself: whatever means work for you.
7- Your stylist doesn’t care what dress you choose
- Don’t edit your praise or criticism of a dress based on a fear of insulting your stylist. She doesn’t have any unnatural attachment to a gown and her only goal is to find you your perfect dress.
It is our job to make your dress hunt an unforgettable experience. Let us do the heavy lifting.
Just take a few steps to ensure a good time and we’ll handle the rest. One final concept reaches through all these pieces of advice and is something every bride should remember:
This Is About You!
Don’t be afraid to voice your opinion and ask for what you want.
At Bitsy Bridal, we are all about the bride!