If you’re from Utah then you are well aware that we’re famous for a high number of brides with short engagement times. Three to four months is a very normal engagement around here which means brides are starting to think about their Holiday Season weddings.
With the holidays come long weekends and semester breaks. For students getting married it means a convenient time to tie the knot without taking time off from school. for large families it means hitting two birds with one stone: family holiday and family wedding.
But, its a double edged sword.
- Yes, all of your family is already there and you don’t have to ask people to make a second trip.
- You probably will get more attendees since its become a double-affair (maybe this is a con – you tell me, I don’t know your family)
- Reception venues are generally cheaper since the holiday season is the wedding off-season.
- Decorations are on sale,
- You’re wedding is in fact piggy-backed on the holiday and is no longer the main attraction. Which also affects your anniversary.
- You won’t get to enjoy the holidays with your family because you will a) be prepping for your wedding or b) be on your honeymoon.
- If you have piggy-backed on a major holiday such as Christmas then you only compound the stress and financial strain. Not only are you hosting a wedding but you have to buy presents and hostess gifts for holiday parties.
Making the decision really depends on what is the most important to you. But, my two cents?
Big wedding? Don’t do it!
Intimate wedding? Go for it!
If the event itself is very important to you and you want to spend time with your family doing wedding-related things, then I suggest having it at a dedicated time when it won’t be overshadowed by a holiday. Give your family plenty of notice. If the have to fly in then set the date a reasonable amount of time after the last date they are expected to be in town.
But, if you’re having a smaller wedding and don’t care as much about the dedicated weekend, a holiday wedding could be a great option. That way you’ll only have people there for the actual “I Do’s” but won’t have to do more elaborate wedding weekend.
Speaking of holiday season weddings… how awesome is this snow bunny shoot? See it on Wedding Chicks.
Photographers: KC Photography Utah, Stephanie Lorraine Models: Michael Barton, Heather Paxman Dresses: Idella and Blanche from Kelly by Kelly Faetanini HMUA: Red Scarlett Makeup, Heather Shelton MUA Florist: Peaches and Peonies - now Intertwined Floral